Pages

Rustic Veggies 1

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Vegan Challenge - Part 2


Helllllloooo to anyone who is joining me on this vegan challenge, like JJ and MK, or anyone tuning in to see how I'm doing. This has been a challenge for sure because cheese still looks great! I love the pictures where you see all the vegan things you can eat though and have been lucky to know that all of my favorite restaurants have vegan options.

Saturday:

I woke up feeling great. I brought good food to work to eat. I ended up staying longer than I was supposed to so I ended up hungry. I didn't want to eat anything cheating so I had french fries because I tried the veggie burger there and it was disgusting. I guess they all are not even close to the same. I ended eating about half a gave up because I was gagging.

I ened up eating french fries and these rice crispy squares that were vegan and I didn't realize that marshmallows had no dairy in them! After an hour my awful dinner caught up to me. I should have just had a salad. I ended up being so nauseas after all that I had to go home and lay down. It was awful. My head was pounding and I was dry heaving. Not a good meal choice. I need to resort to salad not deep fried and dessert just because it was vegan didn't mean it was a good choice.

Sunday:

Another day of work and good eating. I brought my lunch and dinner. Unfortunately with this new diet I didn't realize I have not been drinking as much. So Superbowl sunday came and I decided to have a few drinks. Apparently, my tolerance has dropped a lot! My usual amount of drinks ended up getting me sick and I spent the night throwing up.

Monday:

Damn. Hangover. I was miserable. Enough to say I'm over drinking like that. It could be that I shed a few pounds and my stomach isn't full of my usual foods. I just didn't handle it the same. Plus I was so mad I missed my workout and couldn't get out of bed for hours. When I made it to work I was feeling like throwing up the whole time. I couldn't even have my morning shake.

The good news is that JJ and MK are both now on the vegan wagon and I'm so happy to have some partners to work on this. MK went shopping for foods to take to class with her. And JJ said she needs groceries but had been having a great experience on this diet for that last three days. Apparently it was a lot easier than she thought. It definitely easier with a house and fridge full of things you can eat.

Temptations are always harder to deal with when they are right in front of your face. One week and two days in. I still am smelling cheesy food and feeling disappointed that I cannot eat them but it is still getting easier each day. I went to bed last night still ill and felt like I was over drinking. I think it's not a great idea during the challenge.

Amazing things:

So it seems like there are disappointing and struggling things when facing this diet, but there have been amazing rewards for me. I have not eaten a much pasta as I was before because most of my fav pasta dishes were cheese coated. I can honestly say I have felt lighter and there has been no bloating or that full stomach for hours feeling that I dreaded after meals.

I didn't have my usual week of cramping and bloating this month. It all came and went like it was just another day. I also see that my face had been less oily. I have seen my normal oily t-zone calm down and more an all over sheen come over my face. One woman even commented and told me I had glowing amazing skin and asked what I used. I told her just a oatmeal scrub and face wipes each night to take off sweat and makeup. I have been wondering if it was in my head but apparently the skin changes have really been noticeable.

My hair was always oily after waking up and now it seems to have become less oily. I like that I don't look like I was sweating all night into my hair even though it wasn't hot in my room. I keep wondering why I didn't ever try this before. I have heard so many people say that changing your diet can clear up your skin. Of course I wanted to try this, but I have never given it a try for long enough to see results. This has been a great reward seeing that I have been struggling with the detox part of this diet.

But to be clear, I do not think these changes came from just ten days of being a vegan. I have been making green smoothies from the day I bought my NutriBullet in November. I have been having these everyday and have been feeling energized. I also cut out meat and caffeine at the end of December for my New Years Resolution. Just due to theses changes I have been forced to look closer at my diet and eat foods that really provide me with the full range of nutrients I need. That means more whole foods and stepping away from processed items. The vegan challenge is just another step in that direction and I know all those have contributed to the positive changes I've seen. I think with that step I have seen all the positive things really increase exponentially.

What were your New Years health resolutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment